Should we get home insurance?

For those that are in the Waldron, AR area, owning a home can be a great housing option. If you are going to purchase a home here, you will want to cover yourself with insurance as well as possible. There are several reasons why someone in this area of Arkansas should get a home insurance policy for their property. 

Insurance Protects Most Valuable Asset

A home is the most valuable asset that a lot of people will ever own. Unlike other forms of assets, this asset can be fully protected and covered with insurance. If you get a full home insurance policy, you can receive the coverage needed to repair or replace your property if it is damaged or destroyed. You can also get coverage for your personal belongings, up to your policy limit. 

Insurance is Normally a Requirement

Additionally, you will want to get a home insurance policy because it will be a requirement for you. The majority of buyers in Arkansas are going to take out a home loan to purchase their vehicle. If you have taken out a mortgage, you will want to stay in good standing with your lender. Most of the time, this will mean carrying sufficient insurance that meets the standards and requirements set by your mortgage lender. 

Owning a home in the Waldron, AR area can be a dream for many people. As you are looking for a new policy to protect your asset, it would be a good idea to call The Owens Agency LLC. When you work with The Owens Agency LLC for your insurance needs you can learn a lot about how home insurance will protect you. The team will give the right guidance to help you pick the best policy for your personal situation. 

3 Reasons to Update Your Home Insurance

Home insurance needs to be reviewed regularly to ensure you have the protection you need for your property. If you renovated your Waldron, AR home over the last year or added costly goods to your inventory, you may need to increase your coverage to protect your investments. By discussing these changes with an agent from The Owens Agency LLC, we can help you determine if it’s necessary to update your home policy to retain the protection you need. Here are a few reasons why an update may be necessary.    

Increase in Home Value

Major home upgrades like bathroom or kitchen remodels can raise your home’s value. If your dwelling insurance doesn’t cover the new value of your Waldron, AR home, you’ll need to raise it in order to fully protect your structure. This requires an update to your policy. Otherwise, you could be caught short if your home suffers total loss in a disaster.

Home Insurance Discounts

Home upgrades that enhance the safety or security of your property such as new windows, installation of a security system, new plumbing, or electrical system may qualify you for a discount on your home insurance. To get that discount, you’ll need to update your policy.

Purchase of Costly Goods

If you purchased high-end goods or received costly gifts after obtaining your home insurance, you’ll need to update your policy to add these goods to your coverage so they can be protected with the rest of your items. You may need to increase your property coverage to cover the value of your new items. If the limits on your policy aren’t sufficient to fully protect your new gifts or goods, you may need to purchase an insurance rider to protect these valuables.

For more information on updating your home insurance policy, contact The Owens Agency LLC today.

What happens to my home insurance policy after a security system installation?

Living in the safest neighborhood in Waldron, AR does not mean that you are entirely safe from burglaries. That is why The Owens Agency LLC, recommends buying a home insurance policy. However, many residents today are installing a home security system as an additional form of protection. While this may be your idea, it can directly affect your home insurance policy. Read on to understand how a home security system can affect your home insurance policy.

Your premiums can either reduce or increase.

How a security system affects your policy heavily depends on many factors that can either lower or raise it. Some of these factors include the type of system, your insurance limits, your address, and many more. Different insurance companies will give different deals, and if your premium is reduced, it may not offset the cost you incurred installing the system.

Remember, you will also need to cover the system in your coverage. Therefore, before installing your security system, it is critical that you first calculate the value it is bringing on the table. 

 How can I reduce insurance costs with a home security system

Fortunately, there are ways you can reduce your insurance costs and still make your home safer:

  • Boost your home’s safety: If you live in an area with frequent break-ins, a home security system could add value to your home and ultimately reduce your home insurance premiums.
  • Enquire about discounts for security features: Some insurance companies offer discounts up to 20% for security features. If you invest in a home security system, you are likely to reduce your home insurance premiums.
  • You lower the risk of claims: When you install a security system, the chances of filing a burglary claim are low. It is even a better deal if, most of all, your immediate neighbors have installed the same. 

 For more information, quotes, or new policy discussions, contact The Owens Agency LLC or visit our Waldron AR offices, and our agents will be happy to assist you.

Types of Home Insurance

Home insurance comes in many shapes and sizes, but there is some basic information to help you get started. These are some of the most common forms and coverages of home insurance.

A basic home insurance policy typically covers the following four areas:

  • Dwelling: This refers to the structure of the home, including things such as walls, floors, built-in items, and attached buildings, like garages.
  • Contents of the home: This protects your furniture, clothing, and other personal belongings.
  • Liability: If a guest is injured in your home or on your property, personal liability is intended to cover the costs.
  • Additional living expenses: If your home is uninhabitable due to a covered event, this coverage will pay additional costs incurred from having to live away from home.

Optional Home Insurance Coverages

There are many additional coverage types that you can add to your basic policy depending on what you need. Some common additional coverages include the following:

Flood Insurance

Flood insurance is required in some areas, but not all. If you live in or near an area that floods often, you should seriously consider purchasing a flood insurance policy even if it is not required so that your house and belongings are covered. As some parts of Waldron, AR do experience flooding, purchasing flood insurance is a wise move.

Earthquake Insurance

Earthquake insurance covers your home in case of an earthquake. It requires a separate deductible.

Other Structures Insurance

This covers structures that are not attached to your homes, such as a shed or an unattached garage.

Medical Payments Coverage

If a guest is injured on your property, whether you are at fault or not, Medical Payments Coverage is intended to pay for the immediate medical treatments.

The Owens Agency LLC wants to help Waldron, AR residents protect their homes, families, and belongings. Our staff is standing by to help you find the coverage you need, so stop by or give The Owens Agency LLC a call today!

Tips for filing a homeowners insurance claim

Homeowners purchase homeowners insurance to give them peace of mind that they will be covered in the event of a claim. However, being prepared to file a claim will help make the process less stressful and help ensure your claim is handled quickly. If you have questions about how to file a claim under your policy, reach out to an agent at The Owens Agency LLC today. 

Call you carrier right away 

It is imperative that you notify your insurance carrier of a claim right away. Place the contact information somewhere safe, so you do not have to search for it. Also, keep your policy number with the contact information, so you have it handy. Some policies have time limits in which you have to file a claim. 

Know your policy terms

Each year, when you go to renew your policy take some time to review the coverage terms. You will want to be sure to check your coverage limits, so you know the limit of any potential claim. 

Find a good contractor ahead of time 

Since you will want any repairs completed on the home by a reliable and reputable contractor, you will want to have their contact information handy in the event you need to file a claim. If you need to scramble at the last minute, you may not get the contractor you would prefer. Be sure the contractor works in the  Waldron, AR area, so they can get to you quickly. In the event, you need to file a claim, call your contractor and have them put together a detailed estimate for the work before the claim adjuster arriving. 

Take photos as soon as possible. 

Once you have called your carrier and your contractor, you will want to start documenting the damage. You should take photos and videos of all the damage. This is especially important if you need to make a change to the damaged area to protect the house before the adjuster arrives. 

If you would like to learn more about how you can best be prepared to file a claim, reach out to an agent at The Owens Agency LLC today. We proudly serve the Waldron, AR area.

Do I need home insurance if I don’t have a mortgage?

Your home is probably the single biggest investment that you will ever make.  When you have a mortgage, your lender will likely require you to have a home insurance policy to protect their investment but what about when you don’t have a mortgage? Is it still a good idea to have home insurance?  At The Owens Agency LLC in Waldron, AR our experienced agents can help you to decide if coverage is right for you. 

Can you repair or replace your home

If your home is destroyed or damaged by high winds, fire or vandalism would you be able to afford to pay to bring it back to its original condition?  Would you be able to replace your furniture, appliances, clothing and personal items? If the answer is no then maybe you can’t live without home insurance. 

Can you afford to stay someplace else

If your home is damaged and is unliveable would you be able to afford to live somewhere else for what could turn out to be months? If the answer is no then maybe you need home insurance. 

If you get sued

If someone is injured while visiting your home or if your dog bites someone would you be able to pay for the litigation and judgment that might result? If the answer is no, you may need home insurance. 

Protecting your home from all the unfortunate things that can happen also safeguards your investment and your assets. Things happen, some of them are bad. Talking to the knowledgeable staff at The Owens Agency LLC in Waldron, AR can help you to guarantee if bad things happen to your home, you have the coverage you need to repair or replace the home you love. Give us a call or stop by our office for a no-obligation quote.




Home Insurance and Tree Damage, What You Should Know

Tree damage is a constant concern for homeowners in and around Waldron, AR. It doesn’t help that different home insurance agencies deal with tree damage in different ways. However, The Owens Agency LLC wants people to know how tree damage and home insurance typically work.

Not All Tree Damage is the Same

Tree damage can occur in several different ways:

  • Falling branches that damage structures
  • Falling trees that damage structures
  • Leaning trees that damage utility lines
  • Trees growing into structures

In addition, many problems with trees can stem from other issues beyond your control. For example, if lightning strikes a tree, it can send branches falling onto your home. All of these can represent different types of incidents that an insurance company may or may not cover.

Not All Tree Damage Has the Same Coverage

Don’t guess or assume anything about tree damage and insurance. Make sure you go over your homeowner’s policy carefully. If in doubt, ask the insurance company directly what type of tree damage it will cover, and what it won’t cover.

Sometimes, you may have coverage but only if the damage comes about in a highly specific way. You don’t want to wait until the damage occurs to find out.

Not All Tree Damage is Unavoidable

Don’t wait for damage to occur before you try to make a claim with your insurance company. Do what you can to mitigate the possibility of damage from trees. Take care of trees on your property. Keep them trimmed and pruned. If they represent a clear hazard, have them removed.

Don’t let dead or diseased trees linger on the property. You can tell your insurance company about the trees on your property and what you need to do to mitigate their potential damage. In some cases, the insurance company may even help.

When looking for home insurance in Waldron, AR, make sure you ask about tree damage specifically. Contact the Owens Agency LLC today to discuss your options.

Does my home insurance cover jewelry?

We love our jewelry, and that’s why we spend a lot of money to acquire it. But what happens when you lose a pricey diamond ring at home? What if someone breaks in and steals your gold necklace when you are out on an errand? Your homeowners’ insurance protects your personal belongings in your house from some risks that are usually specified in the policy. Jewelry constitutes personal items and is, therefore, covered in the policy but only to a certain extent. 

Generally, homeowners’ policies do not pay for jewelry pieces or gems that are simply lost. The coverage for these items on your policy is limited in that way. If you want to know whether your diamond ring or any other valuables are adequately covered in your homeowners’ policy, read through the policy carefully or better still, ask a knowledgeable agent. You may want to get additional coverage for your jewelry. The Owens Agency, LLC in Waldron, AR provides additional coverage options for your jewelry to minimize financial loss.

Should I Get Additional Coverage for My Jewelry?

Coverage varies from one insurance provider to the next, but companies usually limit their coverage for jewelry and other items of value. If your jewelry is lost or damaged due to a listed peril like theft or fire, the loss will be covered. If someone breaks into your home while you are on vacation and makes away with your jewelry collection, the loss will be covered up to a limit.

If a fire in your home causes damage to a necklace that has been with your family for generations, the loss will be covered but only to a limit. Mysterious disappearance, or in other words, if the item is lost, no coverage is provided. You need additional coverage to cover such a loss. The Owens Agency, LLC provides the coverage you need for your jewelry in Waldron, AZ. Give us a call if you need more information on our jewelry insurance policies.  


Can You Drop Home Insurance if You Have a Mortgage?

Mortgages are a difficult thing to understand, as is the insurance that you need to have on your home to protect it. Insurance is something that is required in cases in which the homeowner still holds a mortgage on the home or has a lien against the cost of the home. If you have a mortgage on your home, your lender will likely require home insurance for at least the value of the loan. For those in the Waldron, AR area, the agents with The Owens Agency, LLC can help.

If you own a home on which you have a loan, mortgage, lien, or other money borrowed against, odd are your lender is going to require some sort of home insurance for at least the amount of the loan. This means that you cannot drop your home insurance if you have a loan or mortgage against your house. It is essential that a lender requires you to hold home insurance for the simple fact that if the home is destroyed, your lender needs to be able to get the money they have lent to you back. Without home insurance, most people are not going to be able to come up with the money to pay back a mortgage after the home has been destroyed.

Having the right policy on hand is going to help protect both you and the lender to avoid having to pay off a large sum if your home is destroyed. This is a fail-safe in some ways for the lender because it will help them to keep your loan in good standing. For those that live in the Waldron, AR area, you can ask the agents at The Owens Agency, LLC to answer your questions and find out what type of home policy is going to work best for you. We can walk you through the insurance process and get you a quote through our online rating tool.

Reach out to our offices for more information.

How Many Supplementary Policies can be Added to Your Home Insurance Policy?

Home insurance is something that we all need to have in place to protect our homes. If you have a mortgage on your home, your lender likely requires that you have home insurance to help protect their investment as well. These policies help us in a wide range of incidents from fire to storm damage, but there are some instances in which a home policy is simply not going to pay out. In those cases, you can add supplementary policies to help cover anything that may happen. For those in the Mena or Waldron, AR area, the agents with The Owens Agency, LLC can help you determine which supplementary policies you need.

Each insurance company is different in regards to how much supplementary insurance can be added to your primary policy and how many extra policies you can have, but generally, each insurance company will allow you to buy the supplementary insurance that you need. There are supplementary policies for just about anything you can imagine including flood, earthquake, umbrella policies, and more. The most important thing is to take the time to figure out what policy is right for you and what coverage you need. In most cases, your agent or agency will help you to condense supplementary policies for easy management.

Also, many insurance companies have supplementary bundles that save you money while giving you the extra coverage that you need above and beyond your typical home policy. This type of insurance policy is entirely optional and is great for those that need a bit of extra coverage, but that might not want to buy an entirely new policy. You can buy specific additional coverage, or you can buy umbrella policies that cover just about anything. For those in the Waldron, AR area, the agents with The Owens Agency, LLC can help you find the perfect coverage.